Florida Death Midwife Certification Intensive
presented by Earth Traditions
"Death is as certain and sacred as birth."
Friday, April 25, 2014 at 9:00am until Sunday, April 27, 2014 at 5:00pm
Crone's Cradle Conserve
6411 NE 217 PL, Citra, FL
Death with dignity and home funerals are being embraced by the Pagan community as well as the mainstream. We are encouraging community members to take advantage of this opportunity to be of service in an area that will become more and more relevant in our communities as time passes.
For the last 100 years the care of our dead has gradually been turned over to businesses. The recent decade has seen resurgence in families providing end-of-life care to loved ones through home hospice care. As a natural extension of hospice more and more families are choosing to care for their loved ones - before and after death - in their homes.
The work of Death Midwives and home funeral guides does not duplicate the work of professionals such as nurses or funeral directors. We work alongside them and our skills are not medically oriented, they are community, spiritually, traditionally, hands and heart-oriented. We use the ancient and time-proven techniques of an open and compassionate heart, touch, and our voices. This work can be done in any setting, whether in a hospital, nursing facility or a home.
When a loved one's death is dignified, peaceful and meaningful, it can be a sacred experience for those left behind. Often an event such as this heals family rifts and enables people to reconnect with each other in ways that are life-changing for everyone involved. When families are able to participate in the ending of a loved one's life it can be very empowering.
With the blessing of Nora Cedarwind Young, in the tradition of Ceremonies for Life's Thresholds, Earth Traditions is offering a Death Midwife Certification Training in intensive fashion. This workshop is intended to focus and sharpen our natural skills and to give confidence, credibility and certification to the skills and inspiration that build community as we embrace the most sacred threshold in the spiral of life, our final passage. This training encourages participants to work with people before and after death.
There is also a strong personal commitment component of this training that encourages community volunteering, especially with Hospice, elder or end-of-life environments such as Children's Hospitals, AIDS Housing or senior living environments.
Those completing this certification course will be provided with a listing under resources on the Earth Traditions website, and will receive referrals in their local areas. Support will also be available to you for personal mentorship following the intensive as you increase your experience and dedication to this line of caring for those we love.
In this training you will
- Learn tools and techniques for midwifing the dying.
- Consider family dynamics that occur as someone dies.
- How to determine if a family is a good fit for a home funeral.
- Experience the practice of dying; visioning our own death before we die.
- Learn tools for creating a sacred space for transition, before and after death.
- Create your own guidebook to use with patients or for home funeral vigils.
- Practice the skills needed as a presenter, or officiant of a memorial service.
- Legal paperwork required how to research state laws and build bridges with others presently working in the funeral industry.
- Practical role-play to develop skills with interviews and interaction with the dying, the family or community of the deceased and those attending after death ceremony.
- Awareness of the many on-line issues of after death and social networking.
- Will receive certification as a Death Midwife through Earth Traditions.
Who will benefit from this training?
- Patients facing a terminal illness.
- Friends and family caring for someone who is dying.
- Those who want to accompany a loved one through this process.
- Professionals working in hospices, hospitals, nursing homes who are seeking to expand their skills and effectiveness in assisting with death and dying.
- Healers and therapists who want to learn more.
- Celebrants, Chaplains and Community Activists or Educators.
- Hospice volunteers or those wishing to become volunteers.
- Anyone who wishes to learn more about cultivating presence and personal awareness in death, dying and living well.
- Those who want to prepare gracefully for their own journey through dying into death.
- Those who want to embrace the mystery of death, and educate others as well as participate in what can be the most sacred and deeply moving experience of their life.
This Certification training will be held at the Crone's Cradle Conserve, in Citra, Florida. Crones Cradle Conserve is a 756 acre ecological preserve and education center located in Marion County, thirty-five miles southeast of Gainesville. Meals and accommodations are NOT included in the price of this certification.
You are encouraged to contact the venue to make arrangements for meals and accommodations.
The class runs long into the evenings. Commuting is not recommended. Meals are also available. Please discuss with the venue.
The cost is $700.00
Meals and accommodations are not included.
Class size is limited to 17 seats. Non-refundable deposit of $100.00 is required to hold your space. Reservations are accepted on a first come first served basis. The balance is due no later than March 10, 2014. There are no refunds.
Please make checks payable to:
PO Box 647
Deerfield, IL 60015
We also accept Paypal:
Installments will be accepted; there is an additional $25.00 handling fee for that service.
Questions? Contact Angie Buchanan
To Register For The Event:
1. Click on this link to bring up the event registration form.
2. Print the form on your printer.
3. Complete the form.
4. Mail the form to the address on the form.
OR Register On-Line
1) Click on this link to bring up the on-line event registration form. Please note that the on-line registration is only to be used if paying by credit card or with PayPal.
- Important: Registrations are not confirmed until payment is received.
2) Complete the form.
NOTICE: Previous graduates of this program are welcome to attend for a refresher or for more experience.
The fee for this is $50.00 per day. There is an additional fee of $150.00 if you would like to take the certification test.